Sunday, March 28, 2010

Holidays...

My mom got kinda offended that I was going to volunteer on Easter Sunday and not go to a dinner that may or may not happen. We are not religious and never have been.

At least two years since I was in college, her and my dad ditched Lisa and I on Easter Sunday to go to a Celtics/Red Sox games. I'm not bitter about it, but it struck me as funny that she can bag out on inconsequential holiday dinners and I can't.

Like I said, we don't celebrate Easter as a religious holiday and may not even have dinner on Sunday. It might be scheduled for Saturday with a "nip" Easter egg hunt which would make this all a moot point.

The animals don't celebrate holidays either and they certainly don't close down the shelter due to holidays. Volunteers are needed every single day of the year. Even it was a major holiday, I would still be there. I hadn't even given it a second thought. I absolutely love volunteering and think going in on Sundays, holiday or not, is part of who I am now.

"True charity is the desire to be useful to others without thought of recompense" ~ Emanuel Swedenborg
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment